Pages

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Scrapping Old Photos; Whampoa Sec School

I was teaching in Whampoa Sec Sch from 1987  to 1990. It was my first teaching post after graduating from IE (Institute of Education; now N(National)IE). I taught English and Home Economics (cookery & sewing) and was the Girl Guides' teacher. 
This school has since closed, SAD. It started  out as a Chinese-medium school and my 2nd sis and her hubby both studied and graduated from there. When it was turned into an English school... I think it lost popularity and struggled hard with the changes. When I was there, the Chinese culture and influence were still pretty dominant and the younger English-Ed teachers were often "snickered at", politely behind our backs! (wry sigh!) In spite of it, I had a memorable experience and while the neighborhood and some of the students were ... umm... "rough",  they would treat you with respect if you give them back the same regard... 

I remember breaking up a one-on-one fight between one of my boys and another student... The small field behind the ground floor staff room, were ringed by cheering students, while 2 boys were facing off in the middle of it! I had stormed into the melee and yelling in my loudest teacher voice to "STOP !" I think they stopped, more in amusement of my outrage than a fear of a teacher finding them out. But yeah, some of them told me they had a nick-name for me then... Tigeress (mu liao hu)!! GRRRRRRRoarrrr! LOL! Can't be helped, I had to live up to the image of H.E. teachers.... terrorize the girls or else! Poor dears...(shaking my head n feeling a tinge of regret)

It's been almost 19 years since I left, and I was really pleased to have found them on Face Book. 
Too late though, they had a mega gathering recently..... sighzzz!

I dug out my old album.... ewwww! all de-colorised and faded. I pulled out the photos, scan them and scrapbooked! Here's the 2 pages I did...
BEFORE:
AFTER:

No comments: